Mood Lamp – Project Update No. 2

After a lot of tinkering with the software I have now arrived at a version I am happy with.  The mood lamp has the following functions:

  • Rainbow colour changer (manual and automatic)
  • Fire effect
  • Sunrise and sunset effects
  • Sound to light
  • Colour changer which cycles through several colour palettes
  • Static colours selected by the appropriate button on the remote.

The final hardware version now only uses one ATMega328P running as an Arduino Uno Clone. This has been possible by the use of an interrupts based IR decoder library that doesn’t block the main  programme loop. I have also shifted to the FastLED library to drive the NeoPixels.

The hardware is now permanently soldered on Adafruit Perma-Proto boards and LED ring fixed to the lamp body using Sugru.  All that is left now is to finish assembly and the project page. Once completed, the project page will have some videos of the lamp in operation. Below are some pictures of the completed hardware parts.

For further details see the project page!

 

2 Comments:

  1. Hello,
    I like your mood lamp project, it has some similarity parts with mine (an infinity mirror -with a sound spectrum visualizer program- that you can pilot with an IR remote -236 leds-). I’m using a Teensy 3.1 to control the whole thing and I want to try to use the MSGEQ7 chip. I’m using the MAX9814 microphone like you did and it seems (looking at your pictures) you used a 22K Ohms resistor between the mic and the MSGEQ7. Is that it? I’m very interested in knowing how you managed to drive the 24 leds with the 7 datas you get from the chip. Did you managed to have a nice effect?
    Thank you in advance for your answer.

    Philippe

    • Hi, apologies for the delay.

      The LED’s used were NeoPixels which have an embedded driver chip (WS2812) on board each pixel. These are driven in serial using either Adafruit’s library (Adafruit Neopixel Uberguide) or FastLED – I used the FastLED library so only used one digital pin for this. I am happy with the music effect I got – I am going to upload some photos and videos of the effects to my site in the next week or two. I can’t remember the resistor I used but will upload the circuit diagram with the videos.

      My github repo for this has the code I used if this is of any interest: https://github.com/alanpullen/Arduino-RGB-Mood-Lamp – the code is a bit rough and needs some more comments and some minor changes to the IR code as my Amplifier remote messes with the lamp.

Leave a Reply