A mood lamp created using Arduino clone (ATMega328P) & an Adafruit NeoPixel Ring controlled by an Infra-red (IR) remote control with sound to light.
I have now completed this project and will update (rewrite) this page shortly and add photos/videos of the lamp in operation.
Mood lamp which has the following features:
- Colour changing mode (rainbow & palette based)
- Fixed colours (based on remote control buttons)
- Sunrise and Sunset modes
- Fire effect modes
- Sound-reactive mode
2015/05/16: Final build complete and code edited to filter out unwanted remote control signals.
2015/03/02: Electronics complete. Software complete. Final construction started.
2015/02/08: Decided to change lamp body after 3D modelling of original idea. Now using white translucent silicone lamp.
2015/02/07: IR-Receiver code largely complete, requires further commenting of code. Circuit prototype laid out on breadboard.
2015/02/01: Neopixels tested. MSGEQ7 chip tested with microphone input.
Bill of Parts
The current parts list comprises:
- Atmel ATMega328P configured as Arduino Uno clone
- Adafruit Neopixel Ring (12 pixels)
- Adafruit Electret Microphone Amplifier – MAX9814 with Auto Gain Control.
- MSI MSGEQ7 7 -Band Graphic Equaliser IC
- IR Remote Control & 38kHz IR receiver
- Milly LED Table Lamp (with original LEDs removed)
The following breadboard layout illustrates the original circuitry I was using. I will post an updated layout and circuit diagram later with component values etc.
The final circuit has been constructed using Adafruit Perma-Proto boards. The electronics could be made much smaller through use of surface mount devices and processors, minimising the use of large through hole components, however, this will require a custom PCB and some fairly delicate soldering skills!
The GitHub repo for the code can be found at: https://github.com/alanpullen/Arduino-RGB-Mood-Lamp.
Although I am currently happy with the project, I am considering future revisions/improvements, including:
- Built in USB-Serial converter for easy software upgrades
- Adding Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) or WiFi interface to allow remote operation of the lamp
- Adding alarm clock functionality (similar to Lumie alarm clocks)